Thursday, September 18, 2008

MY ENLIGHTENING TRAIN JOURNEY..............

I was travelling alone on one of the worst trains in this country. At 8:30pm, when i boarded, i thought it wise to quietly climb on my upper berth and shut off the 5 other fellow passengers. At six, the next morning, i woke to a differnt world altogether.

I climbed down with my design manual and started studying, waiting for banaras to come. the gentleman naxt to me, after observing me for some time said.......

GM-" adhyaatm mein ruchi rakhtee hain??"

ME- haan thoree bahut, aapko kaise pata?

GM- yeh aapke haath mmein bandhe dhagee bata rahain hain.

A conversation ensued in which i found out that he was a sanskrit scholar, teaching for 20 years.....

An ayurvedic doctor come Vaastu-Shastri sitting in front of us joined in...........

This was gonna be my ideal day..........

What followed was a deep conversation about everthing from the by-lanes of Banaras to the stories of Mahabarat....

They did not agree on a lot of things but still had an interesting conversation, with me as a silent receptor.......

This is exactly what Amartya Sen was talking about....THE ARGUMENTATIVE INDIAN...........

with his immeasurable capacity for bakar............

with his deep knowledge of the past....present and future...............

with his strong roots......stemming from a bihari village or a UP town.............

our compartment soon became a debating stage...........with lots of people jumping in.........

That day when i got down...i felt refreshed..........truly refreshed!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a nice refreshing little paragraph! After flying for the last 7 years each and every week, I can tell you that I have no such stories to tell. People like to mind their own business. Its a very personal world at places. Your house, your family, your career. Its not a bad thing necessarily, just quite different. I suppose that as human activity and productivity go up, people feel the need to guard their time and personality more intently. The need to be part of a social network goes down as self-reliance is seen to be a more efficient and effective means of evolution.