Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Expanding Comfort Zones

1.1 Shifting Base: The Realization

Imagine me in a new city (Bang Bang) at six in the morning. I reached the PG accommodation, paid a ten day advance and entered the sleeping quarters. In a room – 2.5 m X 7 m slept 12 girls in various bunk beds. The sight shouldn’t have bothered me. I had stayed in hostels long enough. However, I had an urge to cry. What was bothering me? Long introspection in the one toilet that served 24 girls led to enlightenment. I was depressed because I had long stepped out of my comfort zone.
For 4 years now hostel life has grown on me like a moss under which I snugly live. I am aware of the challenges I will face everyday and am ready with the solutions. Being in Bang Bang was like being stripped naked suddenly.

Once the wisdom dawned on me it was easy to cope up. In fact I found the idea pretty challenging. What if we constantly and deliberately step out of our comfort zones? Wouldn’t it be just as thrilling as jumping off a cliff with just the bunjee rope for support?

1.2.1 Application 1 : The Newspaper

With my newfound wisdom and a renewed interest towards life I approached the daily newspaper. I had a tendency to skip the business and political news. Now I made an attempt to read and understand it. It has surely broadened my perspective of the world.

1.2.2 Application 2 : The Sports Field

As blogged earlier, I graduated from jogging to basketball and tennis. New games bring about a new freshness each morning!!

1.2.3 Application 3: Public Speaking

I may be able to write a thing or two but when it comes to public speaking I have to wage a war against my adrenalin surges. So I enrolled for the public speaking forum. It frightens me but with each meeting I feel better equipped to fight my demons. J

For now this philosophy gives me something challenging to do each day. It is the kick I get from doing the things I do on a regular basis but with a different approach.

2.1 Bottom Line: Highly Recommended

PS- The structured writing procedure sticks on to my fingers as I just finished writing my 100 page thesis report.

No comments: